Interested in joining the movement to teach kids to code? Wanna be your own boss while helping change the world? What an amazing and fun ride it's been so far for us. We've seen lots of smiling faces and gotten plenty of kids interested in coding - and we want more!
We were even recently written up in Entrepreneur Magazine's December 2016 issue, highlighted in their "Fire Brands" article. We're one of only five franchises highlighted with a fire icon out of about 220 franchises - and we got a cheesy pic of ourselves in there to boot!
So check out our FAQ below and let's see if we can answer some of your high level questions. If you're still excited by the prospect of opening your own Coder School, scroll down further and fill out our information form!
Please note, franchising is only available within the United States.
1. What's theCoderSchool? A lame first question, but a good one. We are a premium-branded, after-school, dedicated-location, project-based, fun-focused program that teaches kids to code. That enough hyphenated words for you? We can shorten it - we're a coding school, and we rock.
2. Why coding for kids? In the recent few years, the movement to teach kids to code has surged in a big way. You've probably seen countless articles from Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, or even a report from Google, amongst many many more. Code.org reports that there are almost 600,000 computing jobs open, and only less than 60,000 Comp Sci students (that's one-tenth!) graduating into the work force. Now's the time to get our kids ready! Learn to code. Change the world.®
3.What makes an ideal franchisee? We're not looking for super deep technical architects, nor are we looking for passive investors who want to invest in the movement. Our owners want to give back to the community and get excited about kids when their eyes light up, and are looking for an impactful business to own. Our owners have a great business sense and love to provide good customer service. While owners don't necessarily need a technical background, they understand the impact that kids learning to code can have on our future, and have the ability to pick up enough technical chops to run a Coder School!
4. What are the initial fees and royalties? We're not here to make a quick buck off you, we're here to get more schools open and more kids coding! So our fees tend to run lower than many other franchises. Direct from our FDD, our initial fees are $29,950, and a 5% royalty of gross receipts.
5. What are the requirements and costs? Straight from our Franchise Disclosure Document, the investment needed to start up a school is betwen $77,300 and $139,100. There's levers you can adjust to impact what part of the range you're in, but that is the expected range of total up front investment (including rent, initial fees, everything!). We also require that you have a net worth of $250k and liquid capital of $50k
6. Can I really make a living doing this? The short answer - we can't answer that for you! It's really all up to you. Are you good at relationships? Are you good with giant to-do lists? Good with numbers, hiring, marketing? Are you the manager or are you hiring one? Like any business, the success or failure of it is up to the owner(s) running it. As the franchisor, we can provide a great successful playbook - but in the end, it's up to you (with our support) to execute it well!
7.Do I need to be an experienced coder? Generally, owners with experience in technology certainly have an advantage, as that is what we teach. However, we're not a tech business - we're a customer service business! We can teach you the things you need to know about coding (and you'll need folks on your staff that can answer the tougher tech questions), and we'll look to you to have great business smarts and an inherent ability to run a customer-oriented business.
8.Do I need to be a full-time owner-operator? You probably know that businesses run SO much smoother when the operator is the owner. But while we certainly prefer that you are the owner-operator, we don't require it. Hiring a day-to-day manager is an option (which of course costs more money!), but we do require that you are actively involved in managing that resource - because the success of your school depends on it!
9.Why don't I just open my own coding school? Great question! Our value is that we have a system in place that's proven and that works. Our school's processes and systems have evolved significantly from the many, many lessons (good AND bad!) we've learned along the way. We also provide great premium branding and images (and require a designer-look to the schools) which give your school instant credibility by being part of a larger system, and just plain old looking awesome. Don't forget we're also founded and based in Palo Alto, the high tech capital of the world (hello, credibility)! But most of all, you would be part of a growing network of teachers and owners who are passionate and can all evolve together and help each other as a team.10.Where can I find out more? Check out who we are as a school by heading to our About page, or check out what our Locations are up to!
Franchise Information Form
So whaddya think? Still interested, still excited? If so, fill out our form below and let's get crackin! If we feel you may be a fit for our system, we'll get back to you lickety-split! (Opportunities available only in the United States.)
**This is not an offer to sell you a franchise which can only be made pursuant to giving you a Franchise Disclosure Document. In addition, several states require us to register our franchise offering before we offer or sell you a franchise. If you are from one of those states, and if we are not yet registered in that state, we cannot offer or sell you a franchise until we register our franchise offering in that state.